Friday, April 27, 2012

Entry #2- Variety Pack


Someone recently pointed out to me that I am the variety pack type of personality.  I stood back and pondered this about myself.  I have to agree with this person, I like to keep it new and fresh, especially in my training routines.  

I started off the year training for a half marathon.  This was a difficult task to undertake so early in the year without much base training.  Each week, 4-5 days were dedicated to working up to the distance prescribed in my training plan.  Before the race, I was dedicated, committed, and motivated.  But after the race, I found myself without purpose.  I entered two more running races but I was having a tough time getting back to the same level of love for a single sport.  I already had the endurance I worked so hard to gain, but I needed to work on my speed and strength.  I decided to add in resistance and boot camp style classes.  

This has alleviated the day after day monotony of just running.  I plan two runs, two swims, and 2 bikes each week for my cardio/endurance training and at least 2-3 resistance and/or boot camp style workouts.  The boot camp sessions are intense; I find myself out of breath and working harder to finish the sets.  It’s been a welcome mental break and a new challenge for me.  I am well versed in endurance training but now I have an opportunity to increase my speed and strength. 
In the end I hope to increase my speed in all three sports as well as gaining as much lean muscle mass to lose that 10 pounds I gained in a matter of only 6 months.  That time in management took its toll on my mentally and physically.  Here I am: ready for the challenges and adventures that this summer holds waiting before me.  

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T. S. Elliot

No comments:

Post a Comment