Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Entry #3-Quality of Workouts vs. Quantity of Workouts


Some days, too much emphasis is put on the number of miles, meters, laps, and reps we do rather than what we are putting into the movements we do.  Putting in a 50 mile ride is a good goal but it’s still early in the season.  I’d rather put in a quality 35 miler with hills, intervals, and speed work; then later work my way up to the 50 miles later in the season. 

Miles and meters and lap and reps are all important, but how we are doing them is more important.  Instead of counting minutes or miles, focus on technique, body posture, and strength.  Everyone hates climbing until they gain strength and confidence.  That is a great skill to practice the quality of your climbs rather than the number of mountain passes you can climb. 

Now, I am in that strange group of people who loves to climb, especially seated long hill climbs.  My favorite climbs are those where I can’t see the top. At the start of one of these climbs, I have to push myself to settle in, focus on the road immediately in front of me, and hold my body in an efficient position. 

Settling into the saddle generally takes me about 5 miles; I have to be comfortable on my bike before anything amazing can happen.  Once I find my place on the bike, I am ready for any challenge.  I don’t let myself stare at the top or end of a climb.  Life is about the journey, not the end.  I drive though each switchback as if it were its own hill.  Once I succeed, another challenge is waiting for me.  Efficiency is more and more important as you ride longer distances.  I have a little routine that I move my body though to make sure that I am in the best climbing position before attacking.  I move my rear back slightly on the saddle, so there is more force and forward motion going into my pedals.  Second, I connect my sit bones to the saddle firmly.  Third, I pull my abdominal muscles toward my spine.  Lastly, I extend my spine, neck, and head into a long line supported by my core.  My shoulders remain down and away from my ears, my elbows are slightly bent, and my eyes are leading me down the road.  Practice and you’ll get to be a better climber.  I promise you’ll love to climb…someday. 

“Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you.”  Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment